Credit where credit is due: OLLis8h aka N73User who have made these instructions and created the necessary archives.
I supply here a rewritten and English version of these instructions which were in German, and can be read in their original state at this link: http://www.psxtools.de/thread.php?threadid=17659
Those who have the fat PS2 may also use the PS1 Exploit by pepsi_max2k, found at: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/armax2.php
Jul 31, 2017 Hey Guys,I have a PlayStation 2 Slim Model 8D SCPH 90004 and I want to play games off of a Flash Drive on it,first it seemed impossible at first but seems Open PS2 Loader on FreeMCBoot actually can do it,now in order to install either I need a file browser (first seems best to go with uLaunchELF). You need to download and install drivers for Windows, but the PC fails to recognize the USB drive or there’s no Internet or CD drive. Here’s how to fix it.
This guide is intended for those who have wound up with a Action Replay Max Evo disc with no media player. If you have a disc with Max Media Player, you’ll be better off following this guide by
For this guide one needs the following materials:
-Action Replay Max Evo without media player
-USB-drive, formatted in FAT32
-OLLi_s8h – FMCB v1.8 _ ARMax _ USB-Pack.rar (link)
-PS2 Memory card (I used the official 8Mb card)
This guide will assist in the installation of Free McBoot v1.8. If another version is desired one should just swap the one in the archive with the other one (this is more precisely covered in the appropriate part of the guide).
It goes without saying that you are 100% responsible for any damage you do to your equipment while following unofficial tutorials on the Internet. Although damaging anything when following this tutorial seems extremely unlikely.
You probably want to get your hands dirty by now, so here are the instructions step-by-step:
1. Extract the contents of OLLi_s8h – FMCB v1.8 _ ARMax _ USB Pack.rar into the root folder of the USB drive. If you don’t already have a file archiver, I suggest 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/).
The root of the USB-drive should contain:
Optional step: Replace INSTALL and FREE_MCBOOT.ELF with a different version.
2. Boot up the Action Replay Max Evo disc in the PS2, without the USB-drive.
3. If prompted with «Internet Connection Detected. Do you wish to check online for updates?», press no.
4. Open Settings (Lower right corner), allow the codelist to load.
5. Turn off «Automatic Update Prompt» then «Save and Exit».
6. Now turn off the PS2 and connect your prepared USB-drive.
7. Boot up the Action Replay Max Evo disc again, this time while the USB-drive is connected to USB-port 1.
8. Open Max Memory.
Install Mcboot Without Cd
9. Select My devices, then choose the USB-drive as the primary device.
10. Select «AR MAX Codelist ver. -804409333» and copy to MC1.
11. Press triangle to return to the primary device selection screen.
12. Choose the memory card.
13. You should have two entries called «ActionReplayMAX Settings», delete the one which is 66Kb in size (Size of selected files is shown right above the file list).
14. Press triangle to return to the primary device selection screen.
15. Choose the USB-drive.
Free Mcboot Iso
16. Select «ActionReplayMAX Settings» and uncrush to MC1.
17. Reboot the PS2, still keeping the the disc inside and the USB connected.
18. Choose Expert Mode from the main menu. Allow the codelist to load.
19. On the following screen, choose ARMAX Evo.
20. Make sure «Running», «Payload », and «Payload » are all checked.
Fdvdb Iso Installing Free Mcboot
21. Press start on the controller and choose «Start game (3 codes)» from the game launch window.
22. As the Action Replay Max Evo disc is already in, just press X on the next prompt. Action Replay Max will automatically reload the main menu.
23. Now start Max Memory. The codes you just activated will run Free McBoot from the USBdrive upon starting Max Memory. (Don’t worry, you will still be able to use Max Memory after this when running the Action Replay Max Evo disc without the codes activated).
24. You are done. I strongly suggest formatting the memory card, but please keep in mind that this deletes everything on the memory card. Then install Free McBoot from the menu (I chose «multi version install»).