- This air conditioning system meets strict safety and operating standards. As the installer or service person, it is an important part of your job to install or service the system so it operates safely and efﬁ ciently. For safe installation and trouble-free operation, you must:. Carefully read this instruction booklet before beginning.
- The maximum average cost to install a mini split air conditioning system is $2,000. The minimum average cost for mini split AC installation is $300. Split Unit AC Cost Considerations. Homeowners thinking about installing a split AC system, or ductless AC system, in their homes should be aware of all the associated mini split installation cost.
- Use a hole saw bit to drill the 2-inch or 3-inch hole. Angle the saw downward slightly for better drainage. Connect the control wire to your indoor unit. This process varies by mini split model, but it typically.
- 1 Ton Split Ac With Free Installation
- Split Air Conditioner Free Installation
- Split Ac Units Installation
- Split Ac Free Installation Instructions
- Free Installation Software Downloads
- Free Installation Software
$2,000 – $6,000 Install single-zone
$3,200 – $10,500 Install 3-zone system
$3,200 – $10,500 Install 3-zone system
A ductless mini-split installation costs $3,000 to $10,000 on average. A mini-split AC system costs $1,500 to $8,000 on average, depending on BTU size in tons, SEER rating, mount type, and number of zones. The average labor cost to install ductless air conditioning is $500 to $2,000.
Get free estimates from split AC installers near you or view our mini-split cost calculator below.
A mini-split AC system costs $1,500 to $8,000 on average, depending on BTU size in tons, SEER rating, mount type, and number of zones. The average labor cost to install ductless air conditioning is $500 to $2,000. Get free estimates from split AC installers near you or view our mini-split cost calculator below. Most ductless mini split systems are installed by a professional because the refrigerant line must be cut and then charged. It is possible to install the air handler and condenser unit on your own and bring in a professional to complete the refrigerant line setup.
Ductless mini-split installation cost
A single-zone ductless air conditioner costs $1,800 to $6,000 to install. The average cost to install a 3-zone mini-split is $3,200 to $10,500. Each additional mini-split AC zone costs $500 to $2,000 in a multi-zone system. Ductless HVAC prices depend on size, type, brand, zones, and labor. Install new dvd fab free burner.
|Zones||Average Installation Cost|
|1||$2,000 – $6,000|
|2||$2,500 – $8,000|
|3||$3,200 – $10,500|
|4||$4,000 – $11,500|
|5||$5,500 – $13,000+|
- Quietly controls the temperature of each zone without ductwork.
- Mini-splits cost 30% more than central air (ducted system) and twice as much as window units of similar capacity.
- Lowers electric bills which costs $30 to $150 per month to run, depending on size.
- Not as effective in large homes and units are obtrusive.
- Mini-split system costs by type
- Mini-split AC installation cost calculator
- Ductless split system HVAC cost by brand
- Ductless mini-split vs. central air cost
- Frequently asked questions
Average cost to install ductless mini-split AC
|National Average Cost||$5,600|
*Based on 316 project costs reported by homeowners on HomeGuide.
Mini-split system costs by type
A standard wall-mounted mini-split system costs $1,500 to $8,000 without installation, depending on the type and number of zones. Mini-split systems include an outdoor condenser, indoor air handler(s), and sometimes a wireless remote control.
|Indoor wall-mounted||$700 – $4,100||$1,900 – $7,800|
|Indoor ceiling cassette||$1,800 – $5,800||$2,600 – $9,900|
|Indoor ceiling-suspended||$2,400 – $6,400||$2,400 – $8,000|
|Indoor floor-mounted||$1,600 – $3,300||$2,700 – $8,000|
|Indoor concealed||$1,700 – $6,000||$2,600 – $7,900|
|LG Art Cool Gallery wall mount||$1,300 – $2,100||$2,900 – $6,400|
*Not including installation.
- Outdoor split AC condensers are placed on a concrete pad or wall-mounted with brackets. Each unit supports up to five indoor air handlers.
- Wall-mounted air conditioners are installed at least 7' high and are the most popular and least expensive option for homeowners. LG Art Cool Gallery wall mounts hide the air handler behind a picture frame for a stylish look.
- Ceiling cassettes are recessed so the grill is flush with the ceiling and can distribute air in up to four directions via controllable vents.
- Ceiling-suspended units protrude 14' to 16' and work best in rooms with high ceilings or limited wall space.
- Floor-mounted air handlers mount at the bottom of the wall at floor-level for rooms that don't have upper wall space available.
- Concealed duct AC units, or slim ducts, mount inside the ceiling and connect multiple vents to provide even cooling in large rooms.
- Vertical air handlers connect to pre-existing ductwork. They are self-contained in an insulated metal cabinet for noise reduction and offer a cost-effective alternative to central air. They are installed vertically or horizontally.
Single vs. multi-zone mini-split system cost
The average cost to install a single zone mini-split is $1,800 to $6,000, plus $500 to $2,000 per additional zone for a multi-zone or multi-split system. One outdoor condenser supports up to five indoor air handlers, or 'zones,' depending on size.
- A single-zone unit cools one room or area with an open floorplan. Enclosed spaces need their own indoor units.
- Small bathrooms and hallways do not require their own zones.
|System type||Average cost installed|
|Single-zone system||$2,000 – $6,000|
|Multi-zone system||$2,500 – $13,000+|
Mini-split sizing chart and prices
Ductless mini-splits cost $1,500 to $2,000 per ton (12,000 BTU per hour) of cooling capacity. An HVAC contractor conducts a load analysis to calculate the correct size of each indoor unit (evaporator units) and determine the best location for its installation.
|Square feet||BTUs needed||System price|
|150 – 250||6,000 (0.5 ton)||$450 – $1,600|
|300 – 400||9,000 (0.75 ton)||$600 – $2,300|
|450 – 550||12,000 (1 ton)||$700 – $3,200|
|600 – 1,000||18,000 (1.5 ton)||$1,000 – $4,200|
|1,200 – 1,600||24,000 (2 ton)||$1,100 – $5,200|
|1,600 – 1,900||30,000 (2.5 ton)||$1,600 – $5,700|
|1,900 – 2,500||36,000 (3 ton)||$1,800 – $6,000|
|2,500 – 3,000||42,000 (3.5 ton)||$3,000 – $8,000|
|> 3,000||48,000 – 60,000 (4-5 ton)||$3,500 – $10,000|
1 Ton Split Ac With Free Installation
*Not including installation.
Other factors required to calculate the correct mini-split size are:
- Kitchen – Add 4,000 BTUs for kitchens.
- Floor – Add 2,000 BTUs for a third floor.
- Ceiling height – Add 20% BTUs for ceilings higher than 8'.
- Climate and insulation – Add 30% BTUs for climates with seasonal temperatures over 90°F or poorly insulated areas.
- Sunlight – Add 10-20% BTUs for rooms with large windows that receive direct sunlight.
- Occupancy – If the space is regularly occupied by more than two people, add 600 BTUs for each additional person.
- Shade – Reduce the BTUs by 10-20% for heavily shaded spaces in a temperate climate.
Mini-split AC installation cost calculator
Mini-split air conditioner prices vary based on the size, type, brand, number of zones, upgrades, electrical work, and labor complexity. The following table calculates a typical install for a multi-split system.
|Ductless multi-zone AC system||$1,500 – $8,000|
|Labor||$500 – $2,000|
|Electrical circuit and wiring*||$150 – $800|
|Carpenter or handyman||$200 – $400|
|Refrigerant line set||$70 – $400|
|Remove old HVAC equipment*||$80 – $150|
|Permits||$250 – $400|
*Electrical circuit is not needed for every installation. Most HVAC companies include removing old equipment in their quote.
Labor cost to install ductless air conditioning
The average labor cost to install ductless air conditioning is $500 to $2,000. Replacing a single-zone costs $300 to $1,500, while a multi-zone system costs $1,200 to $5,000+. Labor costs depend on each zone's location, electrical work requires, and the complexity of running refrigerant lines.
|Zones||Average Labor Cost|
|Single-zone||$300 – $1,500|
|Multi-zone||$1,500 – $5,000+|
*Not including ductless system.
- Electricians charge$150 to $800 to install a new 110 to 240-volt circuit with a box to support the outdoor system.
- New electrical wiring costs$6 to $8 per linear foot to run to the indoor air handlers.
- Older homes may need breaker box replacement costing$850 to $1,700.
- A carpenter or handyman costs$200 to $400 to cut 3' holes in exterior and interior walls to run the refrigerant lines.
Price factors for mini-split installation
- Location – Second or third-floor installs require additional wiring, conduit, and refrigerant lines. Labor and material costs increase for refrigerant lines longer than 25 feet or lines running through crawl spaces or attics.
- Accessibility – Hard to access areas or installations through difficult siding increase labor costs and may require more materials.
- Permits – Pulling permits for ductless AC installation costs $250 to $400 on average, and requirements vary by municipality.
- Climate – Extremely cold climates need a mini-split system designed to perform in temperatures below freezing.
- Season – Many HVAC companies offer installation discounts during off-peak seasons, which run from January to March and September to November.
- Rebates and Tax Credit – Energy-efficient systems may be eligible for utility company rebates and a federal HVAC tax credit up to $300.
- Warranty – Major brands require installation by a certified HVAC contractor for the warranty to be valid.
Ductless HVAC cost by zone
The following table contains ductless HVAC system prices by the number of zones without installation.
|1||$500 – $4,000|
|2||$1,500 – $5,000|
|3||$2,000 – $6,000|
|4||$2,500 – $6,500|
|5||$3,500 – $8,000|
*Not including installation.
Split unit AC cost by component
Individual ductless heating and cooling system components are also sold separately for system customization.
|Outdoor unit||$600 – $4,600|
|Indoor wall-mounted unit||$300 – $1,300|
|Indoor ceiling cassette||$600 – $1,600|
|Indoor ceiling-suspended unit||$700 – $1,200|
|Indoor floor-mounted unit||$650 – $1,500|
|Indoor concealed duct||$650 – $1,700|
|LG Art Cool Gallery wall mount||$550 – $700|
|Vertical air handler||$1,600 – $2,200|
*Not including installation. Ilok license manager activation code free.
Mini-split accessories and upgrades
The following mini-split accessories and upgrades allow for system customization:
|Wireless remote controller||$50 – $300|
|Wired controller / thermostat||$100 – $300|
|Drain pan heater||$140 – $560|
|Condensate removal pump||$120 – $280|
|Replacement filter||$10 – $70|
|Concrete or plastic condenser pad||$40 – $100|
|Wall mount bracket for outdoor unit||$40 – $100|
|Condenser stand / snow legs||$100 – $210|
|Installation kit||$150 – $870|
*Not including installation.
- Drain pan heaters keep the system from freezing up in colder climates or at higher elevations.
- Condensate removal pumps improve dehumidification by draining excess condensation when using a gravity drain isn't possible.
- Replacement filters should be cleaned monthly and replaced annually.
- The outdoor compressor is either mounted on a prefab condenser pad or wall-mounted.
- Condenser stands, or snow legs, elevate the condenser off the ground in areas that regularly receive 3' to 5' of snow.
- Installation kits include line sets, connector boxes, wiring, and drain tubing.
Ductless split system HVAC cost by brand
Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, LG, and Daikin are leading brands offering ductless systems at varying price points, features, SEER ratings, and BTU sizes.
|Mitsubishi / Trane||$1,200 – $4,000||$2,600 – $7,800|
|Fujitsu / Rheem||$1,100 – $3,900||$2,300 – $8,300|
|Daikin||$900 – $4,700||$2,500 – $7,600|
|LG||$900 – $4,200||$2,000 – $7,600|
|Panasonic||$950 – $2,900||$2,200 – $6,000|
|MR COOL||$700 – $2,400||$2,200 – $5,900|
|Cooper & Hunter||$700 – $1,900||$1,750 – $4,850|
|GREE||$750 – $3,200||$1,950 – $6,000|
|Senville||$900 – $1,500||$1,800 – $3,300|
|Samsung||$1,700 – $3,600||$3,900 – $9,400|
|Frigidaire||$600– $2,500||$2,500 – $3,700|
Mitsubishi mini-split cost
Mitsubishi mini-split systems cost $1,200 to $7,800, depending on the BTU size, number of zones, and features. Mitsubishi split system air conditioners are customizable and operate efficiently in extreme heat and cold.
Fujitsu mini-split cost
Fujitsu mini-splits costs $1,100 to $8,300, depending on the size, number of zones, and SEER rating. Fujitsu split system air conditioners are discreet, have deodorizing filters, are energy-efficient with zone control, and comes in several design options.
Ductless mini-split vs. central air cost
A ductless mini-split costs $3,200 to $11,000 for three zones vs. central air that costs$3,300 to $6,000 (without new ductwork) for the average home. Central air is more effective for larger homes, while ductless mini-splits cost less to run and maintain.
|AC type||Average Cost Installed||Typical use|
|Ductless mini-split (single-zone)||$2,000 – $6,000||Small homes or single room|
|Ductless mini-split (multi-zone)||$2,500 – $13,000+||Homes with 2 to 5 zones|
|Central air unit||$3,300 – $6,000||Homes with existing ductwork|
|Heat pump||$3,800 – $8,200||Homes without ductwork|
|HVAC system with new ductwork||$6,800 – $12,300||Homes without existing ductwork, AC, or heating|
The most cost-effective choice depends on the size of the home and whether the house has pre-existing ductwork.
Ductless mini-split vs. central air pros and cons
The following table compares the pros and cons of mini-splits vs. central AC units.
Mini-split AC cost to run
Mini-split AC systems cost $0.15 to $0.50 per hour or $30 to $150 per month to run. The operating cost depends on the units' size in BTU's, SEER rating, climate, insulation, and electricity rates. Mini-splits with a higher SEER rating are more efficient and cost less to run.
|Mini Split AC Unit (BTU)||Cost Per Hour||Cost Per Month|
|12,000 (1 ton)||$0.06 – $0.16||$15 – $40|
|24,000 (2 ton)||$0.12 – $0.32||$30 – $75|
|36,000 (3 ton)||$0.20 – $0.48||$50 – $120|
|48,000 (4 ton)||$0.30 – $0.64||$75 – $150|
*Monthly costs are for running 8 hours per day.
Other home modifications reduce how often the AC needs to run, lowering electricity bills:
- Attic insulation costs$1.50 to $3.00 per square foot and provides savings of 15% to 25% on utility bills.
- Window tinting costs$5 to $8 per square foot and reduces 85% of the interior heat generated by sunlight.
Frequently asked questions
What is the lowest priced ductless mini-split AC unit?
The lowest-priced ductless mini-split AC unit costs less than $700 from brands such as GREE, Cooper & Hunter, and MR COOL. Other brands such as LG, Daikin, Panasonic, and Senville also offer low-cost wall-mounted mini-split systems for under $800.
How long does it take to install a mini-split AC?
Installing a single-zone mini-split AC takes a professional less than one day. Installing a multi-zone ductless mini-split system takes one to four days, depending on the number of zones, type of air handlers, and complexity.
How long do mini-split air conditioners last?
Mini-split air conditioners last 15 to 20 years when properly maintained. In comparison, conventional AC units last 10 to 15 years. Cleaning the filters and air handler monthly and hiring an HVAC technician to inspect the system annually prolongs its lifespan.
What is a mini-split SEER rating?
The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER) is the ratio of an air conditioner's cooling output divided by the amount of energy it uses. AC units with higher SEER ratings cost more upfront but are more energy-efficient and lower electric bills.
Is a mini-split air conditioner or heat pump best for cooling?
Ductless mini-split air conditioners and heat pumps are both equally effective at cooling. A ductless air conditioner only provides cooling, while a heat pump is capable of heating and cooling a home.
How much does Home Depot mini-split installation cost?
Home Depot mini-split installation costs $500 to $2,000 on average, depending on the number of zones and complexity. Home Depot outsources this work to a network of local installers. These HVAC installers are licensed, insured, and background checked.
Split Air Conditioner Free Installation
Does ductless air conditioning increase home value?
Installing a new ductless air conditioning system in a house with no previous ductwork increases home value. If the home has existing ductwork, replacing the central AC system with a ductless mini-split does not add value to the home.
DIY mini-split air conditioner cost
DIY ductless air conditioners cost $800 to $3,000 for a single-zone or $2,500 to $4,500 for a multi-zone system. DIY mini-split systems come with wall-mounted indoor air handlers and are pre-charged with refrigerant, so no EPA license or special tools are needed for installation.
|Single-zone system||$800 – $3,000|
|Multi-zone system||$2,500 – $4,500|
Installing a ductless air conditioner yourself is possible with significant electrical, plumbing, and carpentry experience. However, most brands void the warranty for DIY installations.
Hiring an HVAC contractor
Licensed HVAC installers are trained to evaluate your home's heating and cooling needs and calculate the ideal ductless mini-split size. Before hiring an HVAC contractor, be sure to:
- Look for a NATE or ACCA certified technician with experience installing ductless mini-split air conditioners.
- Get at least three estimates to compare.
- Let professionals know you’re getting bids from multiple contractors, so they offer you a competitive price.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business for longer than five years.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Ask for a written contract and warranty.
- Get a full breakdown of all costs involved.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for the work completed.
Questions to ask
- How many ductless mini-split systems have you installed?
- What size mini-split system do you recommend for my home?
- How many zones or indoor heads do you recommend for my home?
- Which brands and product lines do you carry, and what are the benefits of each brand?
- Are there any accessories or upgrades you recommend, and why?
- Do I need to prepare my home for the installation?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- What is your payment schedule?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted ductless HVAC installers:
- Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioners. (n.d.).
- Home Depot - Ductless Mini Splits. (2020).
- Lowes - Ductless Mini Splits. (2020).
- Ductless Air Conditioner Installation Cost. (2019).
- Ductless HVAC Guide: Mini-Split System Benefits, Options & More. (2020).
- Ductless Mini-Splits: A Comprehensive Cost Breakdown. (2020).
- Read This Before You Buy Ductless AC. (2017).
- The Best Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner. (2020).
- Ductless Air Conditioner Cost. (2020).
- Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners & Heat Pumps. (2020).
- Matthew Mertz at Centerpoint Energy. Personal Communication. (2020).
- Melissa Lassiter at Pendley Heating and Air. Personal Communication. (2020).
- Debora Doell at the Heat Pump Store. Personal Communication. (2020).
- John Rhodes at Rosenberg HVAC. Personal Communication. (2020).
- How Much Does It Cost to Run An Air Conditioner (Per Hour)? (2020).
- Mini-Split Air Conditioner Buying Guide. (2020).
20+ Air Conditioning Companies near you
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted AC companies:
Get free estimates
Split Ac Units Installation
There are many advantages to installing a ductless mini split in both your home or Boulder business. Our accomplished Boulder team has the means and the staff to get any job done promptly and professionally. Summers in the Boulder area can often become merciless, and you’ll quickly need a savior from the dry heat. The Pros at Marmot Heating, Cooling & Plumbing Inc. can save you from the deadly heat by installing our top quality ductless mini split in your Boulder home or business today.
Professional Residential Mini Split Installation
Split Ac Free Installation Instructions
Our qualified Boulder team members know exactly how to install a mini split without mistakes, which would cost you more money in the long run. We treat your Boulder home with the utmost respect as if it were our own. We walk you through every step of the way, laying out any information you may not understand. It’s our job to make sure our customers understand the process and are happy with the installation of their new mini split.
Free Installation Software Downloads
Our Ductless AC Installation Is the Smart Choice
The simple fact is that a ductless AC Installation is the cheaper option for many reasons. First off, the overall unit is less expensive than your typical central AC unit. Additionally, the cost to run the system is cheaper if you have a mini split rather than a conventional air conditioner. Installing a ductless AC will not only help now but in the long run as well. We understand, as a Boulder business owner, it is important to make the most of your money. With our remarkable Marmot team, we’re sure to be the smart choice.
We Are a Boulder Based Company Like No Other
Free adobe photoshop 10.0 download. Our team is equipped with the best professionals in the Boulder area. We don’t just look at installing a ductless mini split as another reason to get paid. We look at each job as an opportunity to bring peace and comfort to yet another family or business. We have grown to love our community more and more each day. We only hope we can bring relief and relaxation to all Boulder residents and business owners one day.
Free Installation Software
Trust Marmot Heating, Cooling & Plumbing Inc. For Your HVAC Service in Boulder
Marmot Heating, Cooling & Plumbing Inc. takes great pride in offering comprehensive HVAC and plumbing service, including installation, replacement, and repair with 24/7 emergency service. As a family owned business, we value our Boulder, Colorado community, so we do what it takes to provide environmentally friendly HVAC and plumbing services, boasting a county-wide satisfaction guarantee. At Marmot Heating, Cooling & Plumbing Inc., you’re our neighbor first and customer second, so contact us today to speak with a plumbing or HVAC specialist.